AECbytes “Building the Future” Article (August 19, 2013)
Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) is the term used by Contractors to “virtually construct” a building on a computer before they actually construct it on-site. It is not to be confused with the Architect’s Building Information Modeling (BIM), which is primarily focused on design and creating drawings as their product. BIM does not generally address means, methods, schedules, costs, safety, logistics, inventory, manufacturing, etc., but VDC does. As good as BIM is, it is only optimizing a sub-process. VDC is optimizing the entire lifecycle of a structure with the processes, technology, and people to support it. If BIM in the Cloud took the industry by storm, imagine what BIM-VDC in the Cloud would do!
Here is a summary of the business benefits of VDC in the Cloud:
- Lean Construction – Eliminating waste from construction process
- Agility & Mobility – Adapt to market forces quickly from any location
- Collaboration – Assemble the best team no matter where they are located
- Cost Reduction – For the building and the infrastructure for construction
- Leveling Playing Field – Small/medium firms can compete with the big ones
To read the condensed article, please visit: aecbytes.com/buildingthefuture/2013/VDC_Cloud.html
To read the entire article, please Download the VDC and the Cloud Article Today!